Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

I am starting to stress about internships. I know that I can get an internship in communications or PR here in Utah, but I don't want that. I want a political internship in D.C.

That's where stuff happens. That's where things get done. I have to go there. I have to experience the political (copy-making, coffee-boiling, letter-writing) life.

The internship coordinator at UVU is really nice and has alot of contacts in D.C. for a variety of internships. The downside is that some of those internships don't interest me and don't help me acheive any of my goals.

All of my political volunteer work and experience is with the Democratic party, but 4 of the 5 federal office holders from Utah are Republicans. I have other ways of gettig internships, but the coveted office spots are competitive.

I have most of my applications ready. The only thing that I really need to do is write cover letters for them. That is going to take some time. I don't want to recycle and use a generic cover letter because I need to stand out.

I am applying for 15 internships in all and if I don't get one I will shoot myself. As if the stress of 18 credit hours in one semester isn't enough. I have to throw myself into a competition for internships with thousands of other college students. Failure is not an option here.

No comments:

Post a Comment