Tuesday, February 17, 2009

American Idol Is Back!

Ok. So it isn't exactly news. The show has been on since mid-January, but now I actually get to hear them sing real songs and vote (or not) for the ones that I like.

This is the first semi-final week and the format has changed a little. Instead of the top 12 Guys and top 12 Girls competing in different categories and two people of each gender being sent home each week, Idol returns to a format closer to the original. Now the top 36 are divided into 3 groups of 12 and the singers only get one chance to get voted into the Final 12. Unlike the original format, Sex still plays a role here. The guy and the girl with the most votes from their week are automatically in the Finals. The third spot is for the next highest vote getter, regardless of gender. This does kinda suck if the top three vote earners are of one gender, but I still think that the Final 12 will be pretty even.

The best change? SPARKLE MICROPHONES! They must have stolen them from Beyonce and Mariah's collection.

Here's my rundown:

Jackie Tohn- ”Little Less Conversation,” Elvis

Who let this girl in the top 36? Seriously? Just awful. Bad song, worse singer. even worse pants.

Ricky Brady- "Song For You," Donny Hathaway

He sang pretty well. Ten times better than the first girl. I agree with Simon that he doesn't really have any star quality. Some people just have gravitas and I don't exactly feel the pull to vote for him.

Alexis Grace- "Ain't Never Loved A Man," Aretha Franklin

It wasn't horrible for a white girl, but I thought it was really forced. The runs weren't smooth; they were rehearsed and awkward. She also had some really bad notes in there. I don't really like her hair either. Wow, there are alot of things that I don't like about her.

Brent Keith- "Hickville," Jason Aldean

Oops! Live TV is tricky! Idol had the wrong tape prepared. Ryan covered pretty well.

Brent was on Nashville star and finished around 7th. He isn't very good. His song choice was about the worst that you could pick. Thank goodness it was only a minute-twenty. He's going for the Kristy Cook country sympathy vote. Randi says this is the first contestant that she could vote for. Obviously we disagree. I already dislike that he's had more experience than others on the show and had a legit shot, picking crappy songs like this makes me hate him more.

Stevie Wright- "You Belong With Me," Taylor Swift

BOMBED IT! The song was way to low for her. To her credit I think Taylor Swift is just as bad live. Jumping around on the stage doesn't help your voice. She holds her mike too far away.

Anoop Desai- "Angel of Mine," Monica

I had high hopes for Anoop Dogg. He was amazing in the auditions and Hollywood rounds. This song just wasn't the best choice. The background singers had as many lines as he did. He still did better than most of these others.

Casey Carlson- ”Every Little Thing She Does is Magic,” The Police

Ow! My ears! Awkward, Awkward, Awkward! And those facial expressions. It was like a drunken redneck karaoke, but with better dress.

Michael Sarver - “I Don’t Wanna Be,” Gavin DeGraw

Finally a song worth singing... and then he slaughtered it. It wasn't horrible it just wasn't smooth like the song is meant to be. It's an amazing song. I still like Michael Sarver's personality. The fatc that he's a roughneck and an everyday guy makes me place him number 2 under Anoop so far this week.

Ann Marie Boskovitch - "Natural Woman," Aretha Franklin

Demo singer. Enough said.

Stephen Fowler- “Rock With You,” Michael Jackson

Corny:Simon nailed it. It was like watching grass grow. I have better things to do with my time.

Tatiana Del Toro- "Saving All My Love," Whitney Houston

STOP CRYING, STOP LAUGHING, STOP BREATHING.

Oh My Gosh! Seriously? The best singer of the night is the person that I hate the most on this show? Am I being punished? Girl can sing, though when she isn't belting it you can barely hear her. I always laugh when people try to sing Whitney, Mariah, et al, but it wasn't bad. I wouldn't buy this single, but relative to everyone else tonight she's the best (with one left to go.) On the normal spectrum it was 'OK.'

Danny Gokey- “Hero,” Mariah Carey

Best of the Night. By a landslide. But on the normal spectrum it was just 'good.' I can totally hear his voice in church.

I think that the 3 will be Danny, Tatiana, and the last spot will be filled by Michael or Anoop.

No one made me want to vote tonight so I won't waste my time. Idol better not be spinning that "Best Season Ever" crap anymore, because it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment